Tuesday, October 18, 2005

When guppies attack

I was feeding the fish a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that one of the guppies was very thin and his tail was mangled. He would hide up by the filter towards the top of the tank. I went out and got another guppy because I read that some guppies get jealous of other guppies tails and getting another guppy can sometimes defuse the situation.
I wasn't sure if it was the other guppy being aggressive at this point.
Unfortunately the thin guppy didn't make it.
The next day, the new guppy was dead. Crazy! It was then that I saw the remaining guppy attacking my blue platy. It was like something out of Jaws! I'm pretty sure now that the blood thirsty guppy also killed the platy babies in our tank.

We immediately dumped the serial killer into a glass and took it back to the pet store. We picked up a gold platy and a black molly and peace is restored once again to the tank.

After all that, I really think guppies are UGLY.

7 comments:

Wind said...

hi kelly,

have you tried to email me a couple of times today? i received two emails from you with no content in them. I emailed you about it but you haven't responded so i thought i would contact you through your blog...

peace wind

Kelly said...

Wind, it didn't go through again?
Thats weird! I'll try and email you from another account and see what happens.

Kelly said...

Oh and its nothing important!
Just had a question about hair. :)

Wind said...

mornin' kelly, your email from rocketmail had no content in it either... puzzling.

try emailing sam to see what happens

Kelly said...

Odd...
Are you getting other emails ok?

I just emailed Sam..and copy/pasted the email to you in it.

This reminds of when I was a kid and wanted to be a spy but I swear I haven't figured out how to make thunderbird use invisible ink. :)

Wind said...

sam passed on your question about corn rows... i loved having them! they are so distinctive and get alot of attention, but they do take a tough scalp to endure the process of getting them. i am sure that ridley will be fine (she is after all A SUPERHERO) and it is not THAT bad. there is some yanking and pulling, and it felt quite tender around the base of my head. kalen did them for me and she is a pro, the braids looked so good for so long and that is because she is precise in her work. it took her about 2.5 hours to finish.

after care tips:

get an atomizer, a small bottle for mixing peppermint essential oil and water, and spray ridley's scalp when it gets itchy. the itchiness lasted for a couple of weeks for me, but my hair grows slowly. if you combine this technique with a rosemary tea rinse, her scalp will stay happy.

make the spray solution about 10 drops of natural peppermint oil to 100 ml water. use as much as you want, whenever you want.

i left mine in for 3 months and ended up with dreadlocks. perhaps 3 weeks is the average lifespan for cornrows but i am not sure. ask your hairdresser friend how long would be appropriate for ridley's hair.

i hope you go for it ridley, they will look totally cool on you! get your mom to take tons of photos of you and post them on this blog :) i can't wait to see them...

if i can be of any more help just ask.

Kelly said...

Cool, thanks for the info!
Ridley wants to go ahead and do it after she donates her hair again. (she donated last year, her hair grows really quick!) Her hair should be long enough in another month or two.

She is sooo happy that she won't have to brush her hair. I'm guessing that will last about as long as the corn rows do.

Of course I will post lots of pics. :)

Thanks again!!!!