Thursday, October 27, 2005

Maple syrup is really great stuff

My cat Monty is diabetic. I say "my cat" because its my head he occasionally sleeps curled around and I also say "my cat" because Monty is always after my attention. Its to the point where Spyro (puppy) gets jealous if Monty comes near me. Spyro constantly tries to get to me first. Of course Spyro always must sleep draped across any part of me to compete with Monty. How loved do I feel????

Poor Monty went hypoglycemic tonight. :( He couldn't walk across the floor he was so weak. He was also completely dazed. (couldn't focus his eyes) I snapped out of my freak out pretty quickly and got him some maple syrup. Within about 5 minutes, he was much better. After about 10 minutes he walked out of the room and down to the kitchen all the while demanding I feed him. He feasted like a king on leftover chicken.

I'll have to adjust his insulin and see how it goes for the next few days. I could tell something was up last night (I wasn't sure what) because he curled up next to me when I went to bed and stayed all night. At least now I know.

I have been this relieved very few times in my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds scary - glad to hear that your snuggle-bunny is OK.

Wind said...

omigod! low blood sugar is a terrible feeling. i am so glad monty is feeling better, poor little pooper!

Kelly said...

Thanks everyone.
Sam, I'm going to ask the vet about that. I think it may depend on what kind of diabetes Monty has. (I can't remember what "type" he has)
Thanks for mentioning that. I would love not having to give him injections 2x a day. (it eeks me out)